Get Approved to Take Course(s) at Another School

If you are interested in taking courses at another institution while still an active student at FSU, this is called transient work. Before completing the transient process, you should start by meeting with your academic advisor to determine if you are eligible to do so and to determine which courses you should take. Be sure to familiarize yourself with financial aid and the transient process (

Taking Courses in Florida

After you have spoken to your academic advisor, please follow the instructions below to complete a Florida Shines application, if you plan to take courses at a Florida institution. 

  • Go to Florida Shines
  • Click/Hover over "Succeed in College" and select the "Take a Course at Another School" option.
  • "Apply or Check Application Status Now" button.
  • You will then be re-directed to a log-in screen.
  • Once you choose Florida State University from the drop-down menu under Select Your Home Institution, this message will appear: Click Here to Login with your FSU ID.
  • Once you click on this link, you will be directed to the MyFSU homepage where you will log in with your regular FSU ID and Password.
  • Once you complete your log in, you will once again be redirected to FLVS where you can complete the application.

*If you want to take classes at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), you will need to complete a different process, not Florida Shines. Due to the FAMU/FSU Co-op program, there is a different process for transient work. For more information, please click here.*

Taking Courses not in Florida

If you are interested in taking courses at another institution that is not in Florida, there is no universal process. To do this, you should start by contacting the admissions office at the school you wish to attend for transient work. Be sure to indicate you are only interested in temporary enrollment.  They will instruct you on the process they require. Once the course is completed and grade is posted, be sure to have a transcript sent to FSU.

To get the coursework taken at a school not in the state of Florida pre-approved before enrolling, contact the one of the following